Register

"Thwip" - General Spider-Man Discussion Thread
I love the Spider-family:} It's a crime that their ended so soon, but I suppose the fact that it lasted as long as it did when Spider-man being married is considered taboo is impressive.

Tbh, the Spinneret version of Mary-jane is really the only version of her that I can see headlining a mini-series. The character is fine, but do people really wanna see her as she is, powerless supporting character, in an ongoing series?
(08-15-2019, 04:53 PM)Comic Genesis Wrote: I love the Spider-family:} It's a crime that their ended so soon, but I suppose the fact that it lasted as long as it did when Spider-man being married is considered taboo is impressive.

Tbh, the Spinneret version of Mary-jane is really the only version of her that I can see headlining a mini-series. The character is fine, but do people really wanna see her as she is, powerless supporting character, in an ongoing series?

MJ's smarts and sass is what gets her through a situation with many of Peter's enemies, she's perfectly capable of keeping things interesting without powers. People are just used to her in the role of Peter's anchor and partner, and I would agree that is the posistion she fits best in.

As for the marriage being "taboo", I don't think it really is at Marvel. There's a place for it, just not at the main table. Fans who took notice know that we actually went a whole other decade with the marriage still having stories printed about it (newspaper strip helped with that while Stan was alive because he missed the marriage and regretted it being ditched...even now with Stan dead and the strip in reruns, marriage stories are still featured)
[Image: aHR0cDovL3d3dy5uZXdzYXJhbWEuY29tL2ltYWdl...k3MTQwMTg=]

(Yeah, I know the forum is dead, just trying to kickstart some conversation)